my first journey across the ocean!

Freitag, Mai 28, 2004

Life is a bitch!

Hey guys... I intended to post something on tuesday morning, from my new "home-office". As the office is reconstructed and renovated for three weeks now, we all work from home and meet occasionally when necessary. I got the DSL-Modem from Sharon and again the advise "it works wherever you plug it in" and went home early on monday. Plugged it in. Did not work. Tried other cable, other configuration, nothing. Called the support, and they said: Of course you can use the DSL from home, you only have to wait 5 to 15 days for us to set it up and pay 60 Dollar when you move the account to another telephone number and 60 Dollars when you move it back. So I said goodbye to nice, fast DSL. Tried the dial-up connection. Did not work either, because the modem of my notebook refuses working properly for two months now. So I went and bought an PCMCIA-Modem. Plugged it in and... it did not work. So I went to the office again to get the old notebook that they wanted me to work with at first (the W98 one). Plugged it in... did not work. At last I found out that there was a WIFI-Spot in my room, but the connection is too weak to rely on and only works when I got the notebook on my knees in the bed. Not that comfortable. So I went back to the office today, made some room inbetween all the stuff and tried to work. But my notebook kept collapsing every ten minutes, until I now reduced the resolution of the screen to 800x600 pixel.Everything's blurry now, but who cares! The system is up and running again! And now I'm back to work and back to the blog.
By the way, I don't have to mention that the USB2.0 Card that I bought does not work, either... do I?