my first journey across the ocean!

Freitag, Mai 28, 2004

Wear sunscreen!!!

These words are not only the beginning of one of my favourite songs (you all know the sunscreen-speech, don't you??? If not: Read the lyrics or get the whole story!)
, but they are also an advise that you should follow here in S'pore. I´ve been to Chinatown last sunday, and of course I did not wear sunscreen, which resulted in a red spot on my right shoulder which now, five days later, stops hurting. Damnit!
However, Chinatown was great. I followed to a walking tour out of my LonelyPlanet, which seems to be really as exact and reliable as my travel-experienced darling always says: Every street ist right, every distance, and when they say it's nice but not stunning, then it is nice but not stunning. I really had a lot of fun. The tour started in the CBD, the central business disctrict and went along the outline of Chinatown including the oldest temples and houses - it even included a Burger King exactly when I was hungry! (OK, you got me, I added that.)
Fortunateley, the touristical Chinatown came last on the tour, so that I had already seen the REAL Chinatown and could differentiate now. The tourist-part was awful, it was the first time that the vendors on the street started to get really annoying (that seems to happen only where the tourists are, elsewhere the shop assistants are very kind and friendly). I left that part in a hurry. All in all was it a great little tour, about 2 1/2 hours and 2km distance. If my freakin' notebook would grab the fotos I`d add one ore two... but even a new USB card did not work yet. So watch out! Sooner or later there will be pictures here!!!